We all tend to take tap water for granted. Just turn on the tap and there it is; endless gallons of the stuff. If you’ve ever been involved in a situation where you’ve had to use a standpipe in the street for one reason or another, it’s a bit of a rude awakening.
Far too many people don’t seem to give much of a thought to saving water, probably because of the seemingly bottomless well we’re all plumbed into. However, as more and more people have now had water meters fitted, the cost of water is becoming something well worthwhile considering.
Save money and do your bit as an aqua-eco warrior too!
There are savings to be had, and if you know to go about making them, you can use the money far more effectively, for other things rather than just leaving the tap on and allowing it to run away down the drain. Believe us, as one of the top plumbers South London has to offer, we here at CW Services (Heating and Plumbing) have learnt a trick or two when it comes down to saving water, and we’d like to pass them on to you. Fresh water is after all one of the planets limited resources; so as well as keeping a few more pounds in your pocket, you can become something of an aqua-eco warrior too!
11 top, easy tips on how to save water
Here is a list of 11 simple things you can do to cut back on the amount of water you use in the home.
- Brushing your teeth: Did you know that if you leave the tap running while you brush your teeth that you could be pouring up to 6 litres of water down the sink per minute?
- Shortening shower timer: It’s great to luxuriate under a hot shower in the morning or when you get back from hot, sticky day at work. However, you can use up to approximately 10 litres of water! A shorter shower (say 4 minutes) will get you just as clean and fresh, and will save you bucket-loads of water into the bargain.
- Don’t wash your car just for the sake of it: It’s nice to have a nice, clean, shiny car standing on the driveway. But even a slightly dirty car still looks good from a distance. Don’t clean your car just to look good. You look even better as an aqua-eco warrior with a slightly grubby car.
- Maximise washing machine loads: it’s nice to keep the amount of clothes that needed washing and ironing down, but did you know that one full load in your washing machine uses much less water than two half loads?
- Cut back on flushing the loo: Every time someone flushes the loo, it uses approximately 7 litres of water on average. By only flushing it when you really need to, you can save a lot of water.
- Water friendly gardening: Some plants require far more water than others. Ask you local garden centre about which plants don’t need so much. They’ll also fare better when hose pipe bans are enforced in the summer.
- Get a water butt: Collecting rainwater in a water butt is a great way of saving water. Especially when you’re watering the garden. You might have to use your watering can a little more often, but who ever said the life of an aqua-eco warrior was a bed of roses?
- Put an end to leaky taps: As well as being very annoying with their incessant drip, drip, drip; leaky taps can drip away up to 60 litres of water per week! Fit a new tap washer or call CW Services plumbing services in London to do it for you.
- Play it cool: When those hot summer months come around, (here’s hoping!), always have a jug of cold water in the fridge rather than running the tap to get the coolest water.
- Bowl it don’t waste it: Running water from the tap, and cleaning vegetables, or hand-washing the dishes, uses gallons of water. Pour it into a bowl and use that instead.
- Don’t fill the kettle to the brim: Only boil as much water as you need. This will not only save water, but will save energy too.
CW Services – the eco-friendly top plumbers South London residents rely on
Following these tips from the most eco-friendly, cash conscious plumbers South London has to offer – CW Services (Plumbing and heating), will help to make those hard earned pennies go further, and help you to do your bit to aid conservation in your aqua –eco warrior guise!