Gas Safety Certificate

Gas Safety Certificate

Landlords are legally responsible for the safety of their tenants. Landlords should make sure maintenance and annual safety checks on gas appliances are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer to provide evidence of a Gas Safety Certificate.

By law landlords must make sure:

  • pipe-work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition
  • that all appliances and flues that they provide for tenants use have an annual safety check
  • that maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by an engineer registered with Gas Safe Register
  • all gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting
  • a gas safety certificate is provided to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check or to any new tenant before they move in
  • they keep a copy of the gas safety certificate for two years

Landlords have responsibilities for gas safety. All gas appliances provided by the landlord must be correctly maintained and a gas safety certificate check must be carried out every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

If you are a tenant, always:

  • Check the ID card of any gas engineer that comes to do work in your home. The engineer must be Gas Safe registered
  • Co-operate with your landlord and let a registered engineer in whenever a gas safety check or maintenance is required
  • Ask for a copy of the gas safety certificate before you move in or within 28 days of it being carried out

Remember, if you think a gas appliance is faulty turn it off and let your landlord know immediately. Badly fitted and poorly serviced appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. If you feel unwell seek medical help immediately. For more information and to find and check an engineer, go to Gas Safe Register or call 0800 408 5500.

Better Gas Safe than sorry.