Landlords Gas Safety Certifications & Gas Installation Safety Checks
If you are a landlord with property in the south London area you can employ the services of us here at CW Plumbing and Heating Services to ensure that any gas appliance you have in the properties you let out, have been properly checked out in terms of Gas Safety Standards and that they have current certification.
The landlord’s legal obligation
As a landlord you a number of plumbing responsibilities that you legally need to meet. According to law, all landlords have a legal obligation to obtain a gas certificate every year to cover any gas appliances and flues that are fitted in the accommodation(s) they rent out.
The document is called a Landlord Gas Safety Certificate and it can be obtained from any registered Gas Safe plumber who has completed a thorough inspection of all appliances; plumbers like CW Plumbing and Heating Services.
Landlords may be prosecuted for non-compliance
If a gas appliance proves to be faulty, and as a result causes a tenants injury or death from carbon monoxide poisoning; the landlord responsible for the premises will be charged and could be prosecuted for manslaughter. If a landlord cannot produce a current CP12 certificate, any property insurance will be invalidated and the landlord will be held solely responsible for any financial claims and fines, which could be substantial.
Retaining copies of certificates
A CP12 gas safety certificate provides proof that gas appliances comply with UK gas safety regulations. A landlord must by law provide tenants with a copy of any certification within 28 days of its issue. It is recommended that tenants should keep a copy of any certification for a period of 2-years from the date that the appliances were tested.
It is in a landlord’s best interest to ensure tenants retain this proof as it confirms that a landlord has discharged his or her responsibility and duty of care to his/her tenants in accordance with gas safety legal regulations.
The gas appliances CP12 certification covers
CP12 gas safety certificates are issued to cover a number of different gas appliances which can include:
- Central heating systems
- Gas boilers
- Gas fires
Gas Boilers and Appliances – Safety inspections – Landlords and home owners
All of the heating and plumbing engineers we employ here at CW Plumbing and Heating Services South London are Gas Safe registered and are qualified to complete gas safety inspections and issue certificates in respect of gas-fired central heating systems, and gas boilers; and can also issue home buyer reports covering safety areas such as:
- Gas leak tightness tests on gas-fired central heating systems
- Integrity tightness tests on gas appliances
- Pressure tests on appliances and gas meters
- Checks on burner pressure as per manufactures data
- Checks for adequate ventilation
- Flu flow tests
- Removal of combustible materials
- Checking flame failure devices are working
- Checking for any defects with gas boilers
- Reporting on unsafe gas installations
- Checking flue and ventilation compliance
The benefits and uses to which gas safety certificates and home buyers report can be used
As a test is carried out, a CW Plumbing and Heating Services gas safe registered engineer will record the results on the landlord’s or home owners’ gas safety inspection report. This report can then be used as follows:
- To settle be concerns that any potential property purchasers or tenants may have as to the suitability of gas installations
- Surveyors and solicitors can use them to confirm that gas installations have been appropriately tested prior to purchasing or letting a property
- To enable potential purchasers to discover any gas defects before completing a purchase or let
- To acquire an estimate in terms of any repair or replacement work that needs to be carried out
- To offer peace of mind to all, in the certain knowledge that a qualified gas safety engineer has properly inspected and certified all gas installations
Get in touch with CW Plumbing and Heating and book your gas appliance safety checks today
Whether you are a landlord or a home owner you can commission us here at CW Plumbing and Heating Services to carry out a gas installation safety inspection at your premises and issue you with any appropriate documentation.
For peace of mind you may like to consider taking out an annual gas safety inspection order with us. To book an appointment please call 020 7733 6812 or 07949 095 184.