There are several things you can do in order to reduce your heating bills in winter. Some are simply measures and DIY jobs that you can undertake yourself. The list includes things like:
- Ensure your loft, walls and hot water tank are well insulated
- Make sure that the radiators in the rooms that you don’t use are turned off
- Make sure that all radiators are bled to eliminate air locks
- Take a shower rather than a bath
- Only use as much water as you need when you cook and make hot drinks
- Make sure that you keep your fridge and freezer doors firmly closed
- Put draught-proofing around doors and windows
- Change all light bulbs for the energy efficient variety
- Reduce your heating thermostat to 21 degrees or less
- Reduce the temperature of your hot water to around 60 degrees
- Only have the heating on when you are at home
- Ensure that you turn off all appliances or products on stand-by
- Change the temperature setting for washing clothes to 30 degrees
- Where practical allow wet washing to dry in the air
- Ensure your loft (if you have one) is well insulated
Having your heating system overhauled is a great way of reducing heating bills in winter
Whether you have gas fired, oil fired, or electric heating at home, make sure it is in tip-top operating condition. It is one of the most effective ways of reducing heating bills in winter. The more efficient your heating system, the lower your heating bills will be.
Make sure your electric boiler is regularly serviced
We have already mentioned setting your heating system’s thermostats to 21 degrees or lower. However, you also need to ensure that your hot water boiler is working efficiently too. If you have an electric boiler, you need to make sure that the heating element doesn’t become too furred-up. If it does, it won’t heat the water as efficiently, and eventually it will fail altogether.
Having your electric boiler serviced every year isn’t as important as having your gas boiler serviced annually from a health and safety point of view. It is however, just as important from an efficiency point of view.
As well as making sure your boiler is working efficiently, the engineer or plumber carrying out the service can check to help ensure that parts are regularly checked, and where necessary changed, to avoid inconvenient breakdowns and costly repairs.
The importance of servicing a gas boiler annually
Having your gas boiler serviced annually is every bit as important as servicing an electric boiler from an efficiency point of view. Also, in terms of avoiding breakdowns. Both things will help to reduce your heating bills in winter. With a gas boiler however, the most important issue is the danger of carbon monoxide (CO) emissions.
The dangers of CO emissions are well publicised. Having your gas appliances checked and serviced annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer or plumber is a must. It will help to minimise any risk of harmful emissions.
The top gas installation London based fitter to help you reduce your heating bills in winter.
CW Services Heating and Plumbing are not only one of the top gas installation London based plumbers, but we also carry out annual boiler servicing. Our plumbers are all Gas Safe registered. It means you can employ us to service your boiler, to help reduce your heating bills in winter, whether your boiler is electric or gas.
For a new gas installation in London, or servicing existing gas or electric boilers, call CW Services Plumbing and Heating on 020 7733 6812 or 07949 095 184.